July 20, 2022 Rolling Audition Update
Rolling auditions are especially open for students who are interested in auditioning for sections that we have more space for. We are specifically interested in instruments such as Mellophones, Trombones, Baritones, and Tuba.
Though the audition deadlines have passed us by, you still have the opportunity to join Cal Band through our rolling auditions! Rolling auditions are now open and take place between July 11, 2022 through Secondary on August 27, 2022. That being said, the earlier you get in contact with the Recruiting Coordinators, fill out an Interest Form, and submit an audition, the better chance you have at getting in Cal Band.
If you are still interested in auditioning for Cal Band within these instrument groups, we encourage you to take advantage of the rolling audition deadline. If you missed the priority and standard audition deadline or want to learn how to play the instruments listed above, we encourage you to do the same. Auditions, however, have closed for all phonez and all of perc.
If you have any questions regarding the rolling audition process please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and our Recruiting Coordinators will be happy to help!
Cal Band Auditions are a 2-part process:
- Music: This page explains the process for your music audition. If you have any questions about this (i.e. need to borrow an instrument, need music tutoring support for your audition, recording issues, or any other extenuating circumstances) let your personal recruiter know! We are here to help!
- Marching: FTP (Fall Training Program) will take place in mid-August (dates TBD). We will update you with more information via email and release it on this website as we finalize plans.
- You will submit your audition by uploading it via your account on our recruit website, which can be found by clicking “Recruit Portal” in the menu at the top of this website. These recruit accounts are automatically made after filling out an interest form. If you don’t have access to your recruit account, please let your recruiter know. All wind instruments plus glockenspiel must send in an mp3 recording; all percussion instruments (except glockenspiel) must send in a video audition.
Audition Recording Due Dates
- The priority audition deadline for Cal Band is Sunday, June 12 at 11:59pm. If you submit an audition by our priority deadline and pass your audition, you will be guaranteed a spot in your preferred section and at FTP this year. This also means that if you submit an audition by the priority deadline and do not pass, then you can have a second chance and can re-submit your audition. We highly encourage those who use their high school’s or community college’s instruments to submit their audition by this date, so that you have access to an instrument that you can audition on. If you are interested in living in Tellefsen Hall, we also encourage you to submit your audition by this date.
- The standard audition deadline for Cal Band is Sunday, July 10 at 11:59pm. If you are unable to submit an audition by the priority deadline, we highly encourage you to submit one by this deadline. There is a slim chance that if you submit your audition after the priority due date and we have uneven instrumentation based on the first round of auditions, we will ask you to switch instruments after submitting and passing your audition.
- “All auditions submitted after our second audition due date of Sunday, July 10 at midnight will be reviewed on a rolling basis and students will be admitted into our band based on instrumentation needs. If you are unable to submit an audition before July 10, we still highly encourage you to submit an audition for Cal Band as soon as you can. Please communicate with your recruiter about your personal audition timeline if this is the case.
- A note on extenuating circumstances: We understand that there are a variety of reasons why you might not be able to submit an audition on time. Please communicate with your recruiter and we will do our best to accommodate everyone.
How to Record Your Audition:
- Please do not use a metronome in your recording in order to more accurately simulate an in-person audition.
- Please record your audition as an mp3 file (all wind instrument and glockenspiel players).
1. State your name and your instrument
2. State the keys of the two major scales you will play. You choose which two scales you want to play for us! Difficulty does not matter, we are just looking for your comfort in playing scales.
3. Play the two major scales.
4. Play a chromatic run from the lowest note to the highest note of your ability, ascending and descending
5. State the numbers of three (out of five) exercises included in the links below.** You choose which three exercises you will play.
6. Play the three exercises following all tempo markings, key signatures, rhythms, dynamics, and repeat signs.
** If you have trouble viewing these documents, please install Adobe Reader
Exercises for Each Instrument
- Piccolo (can be recorded on flute)
- Mellophone (can be recorded on French Horn)
*Audition must be video-recorded for Percussion*
Glockenspiel auditions can be performed on a piano or any keyboard instrument, but should be performed with only one hand to mimic a glockenspiel. In addition to the linked piece here, glockenspiel auditionees should prepare two major scales of your choice, as well as a chromatic run, ascending and descending, through two octaves. Please record and submit your audition as an mp3 audio file (no video required).
For Snare Drum, Tenor Drums, Bass Drum, and Cymbals:
Please click here and select the Packet that pertains to your instrument for instructions on how to audition.
How to Record Your Audition:
1. State your name and your instrument.
2. For glockenspiel auditions, follow the instructions listed for woodwind/brass auditions. Play the glockenspiel piece (again linked here) for step 5 of the process. For all others, play the exercises as specified directly above.
3. Record video of the exercises linked in the Packet link above.
Submitting your Recorded Audition
Once you’ve finished recording, submit your files through your account on our recruit portal. Please do not leave uploading for the last moment since there can be issues with uploading! Audition results will be released through the same page. If you have any questions or technical difficulties, or if you need any alternative accommodations, feel free to email us at email@example.com.