How to Audition
There are two ways to complete your musical audition:
1) In-person auditions with director, Bob Calonico, are preferred. He is available on weekdays until mid-June and from August 1st until FTP check-in on August 16th. Email email@example.com to schedule your in-person audition.
2) Sending in an mp3 recording via email is an option for those who cannot attend an in-person audition. The deadline for recorded auditions is AUGUST 1st. For further instructions (what to record, where to send your recording, etc.), please see below.
The following are links to audition music for both In-person and Recorded auditions.
Winds: Be sure to follow all tempo markings, key signatures, and rhythms. Take all repeats, and follow dynamics, as well. Please prepare two major scales of your choosing (difficulty does not matter, we’d rather see how comfortable you are playing scales), as well as a chromatic run, from the lowest note to the highest note of your ability, ascending and descending.
Percussion: Play the linked exercises below as written. For Glockenspiel, please prepare two major scales of your choosing, a chromatic run ascending and descending, and the linked piece below.
You will need Adobe Viewer to see these documents. You can download it here if you do not already have it installed.
- Alto Saxophones
- Tenor Saxophones
If you are submitting a recording:
All recordings must be sent as an mp3 file. No videos, YouTube links, or other file formats (mp4, wav, wma, etc) will be accepted.
What to Record
- State your name and your instrument.
- State the keys of the two major scales you will play
- Play the two major scales
- Play your chromatic run
- Play three of the five exercises included in the links above, following all tempo markings, dynamics, and repeats OR Play two prepared pieces of your choice:
- A slow piece showing expressive ability and
- A fast piece showing technical ability
- (Total of 5-10 minutes)
- State your name and your instrument
- Play the exercises as written
E-Mailing your Recorded Audition
Once complete, BEFORE AUGUST 1st submit your mp3 files as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org with the Subject RE: Music Audition for (Your Name). Once we have received your audition mp3, we will be in contact and will notify you when a decision has been made. If you have any questions or technical difficulties, feel free to email us at email@example.com.