One week before Golden Bear Orientation, the Band holds its annual Fall Training Program (FTP)!
The entire Band goes on a three-day retreat where new bandsmen are given a crash course in our marching style and older students get the chance to remember and perfect their marching form.
No prior marching experience is needed, as our High Step form is unlike almost any high school style anyway. The Band also takes the opportunity of FTP to rehearse our extensive musical repertoire in preparation for the new semester. Music rehearsal is always a great time as we teach our new members our favorite songs and horn flashes!
After FTP, the Band returns to Berkeley and begins rehearsals to learn our pregame and halftime show. Students often find this time helps in orienting them with the University and their new community of bandsmen before classes begin. Instant friends, dining hall buddies, or study partners are often immediately made this way.
Full band check-in for FTP 2019 will be held on August 16, with camp running from August 17-August 19. Housing will be provided from August 16 – August 20, with dorm move-in on the 20th. Percussion check-in is held on August 15: if you are a percussionist, you will hear details about perc check-in from your personal recruiter.
You will hear more details about FTP after your music audition, which is due by 11:59 PM on July 14. If you are interested in joining the band, please fill out an interest form for more information!
What to expect at FTP
- Learn how to march in the classic University of California style — highstep!
- Get introduced to our favorite songs with bandsmen who are excited to be playing again after the summer break!
- Make new friends among your recruiting class, your section, and the band as a whole
- Achieve a great tan for the first day of school (;
What to bring to FTP
- Comfortable athletic clothes (shorts, t-shirts, leggings, sweatpants, etc. )
- Athletic socks and shoes
- Hat and/or sunglasses
- Bath towel
- Flip-flops (for use in dorms)
- Water bottle
- Toiletries: shampoo, soap, etc.
- Sleeping bag, pillow, linens
- Your instrument (unless the Band is providing one)
- Energy and a “Go Bears” attitude!
- Absolutely NO red clothes! BEAT STANFORD!
- Some beach clothes to enjoy Santa Cruz a bit 🙂